A fire on the roof of We The Curious disrupted a wedding yesterday afternoon (April 9) – but firefighters were able to save the wedding cake and photos which had sentimental value. The blaze prompted a major emergency service response and smoke could be seen in the town centre, but a couple’s big day was also affected.
The day after the fire, groom James Leggett took to social media to say the building caught fire before the ceremony with future wife Amy could take place. He wrote on Twitter, “I didn’t *quite* get married, the venue caught fire as I waited for guests to arrive…”, and shared a photo of himself in his wedding suit, with the column of smoke in the background.
However, he also thanked the firefighters for their thoughtful actions as they rescued the items. He wrote: “Thank you so much for your efforts guys yesterday it was an absolute whirlwind of emotions and when we heard the pictures and the cake had been collected and then saw the firefighters walking around the corner with , it was just indescribable . Thank you so much.”
Read more: We The Curious fire: Everything we know about the major fire
Bridesmaid Grace Williams also took to social media to thank the firefighters and wrote: “Thank you to the amazing firefighters who recovered the intact wedding cake from the reception hall of what should have been the wedding by @Leggett84 (to We The Curious) if it hadn’t been for the fire. They also salvaged old photos with huge sentimental value. Thank you!”
We The Curious also thanked the firefighters, while adding that several other venues in Bristol were able to host the wedding party after the fire. In an update on their website, they wrote: “We would like to say a big thank you to our amazing staff for their hard work and dedication today, to our visitors for their understanding, and to the team at Avon Fire and Rescue and to the police for their prompt action.
“We would also like to say a big thank you to Bristol Hotel, SS Great Britain and Bristol Old Vic for supporting our wedding party today.” The museum remains closed today after solar panels on the roof of its building caught fire around 2 p.m.
Anchor Road was closed by police and not reopened until 6 p.m., while Millennium Square was evacuated. All staff and visitors inside We The Curious were safely evacuated when the alarm sounded, but the building suffered fire and water damage, leaving them without a phone or messaging system .