Ask the DMV – Let the DMV Simplify Your Wedding Season – Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel

(Courtesy image)

Did you know that the most popular time for weddings is from May to October? Whether you’re heading down the aisle, moving into a new home, or heading to an out-of-state wedding, find out how the DMV can help make wedding season more convenient and less stressful. .

Q1: I just got married and I want to change my last name. What are the steps to do it? Do I need to go to a DMV office to update my name on my ID card?

A1: To change your name with the DMV, you will first need to change your name with the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. The DMV electronically verifies your name, date of birth, and Social Security number with the SSA. After changing your name with the SSA, you will need to complete an application for a driver’s license or ID card, a process you can start online. Next, you will need to visit a local DMV office to provide proof of your name change and pay the application fee. At the time of this transaction, you will also be required to surrender your current driver’s license.

A name change is also an opportunity to apply for a REAL ID instead of a standard driver’s license. For more information, visit

Q2: I will be moving into a new house after I get married. Do I have to go to a DMV office to change my address?

A2: You can change your residence or mailing address online in the DMV’s Change of Address system. However, you cannot use this online service if you:

  • Not already have a driver’s license or California ID card.
  • Not having a social security number.
  • Have an army post office or fleet post office address.
  • Have an address outside of the United States.
  • You have requested but not yet received your REAL ID. For these, you must complete a change of address form and mail it to the address listed on the form.

Learn more about online address changes at

Q3: My best friend is getting married out of state next summer and my passport has expired. Can I use it instead of a passport to travel to the wedding?

A3: Yes! A REAL ID is a federally accepted form of identification and can be used to board domestic flights and to enter secure federal facilities, such as military bases and federal courthouses. One of the benefits of a REAL ID is that it allows you to carry a single piece of ID which serves a dual purpose, instead of having to follow both a driver’s license and a passport. during the trip, a period that is often already very busy. and hectic. Starting in May 2023, a standard driver’s license/ID card will become non-federal compliant, meaning you will not be allowed to board an aircraft or enter secure federal facilities while on the road. using.

Give yourself one less thing to worry about with a REAL ID! Discover more of what the DMV has to offer at

Previous Christina Haack's fiancé's ex 'not shocked' as HGTV star admits she secretly dated him for MONTHS before her Instagram debut
Next It's high time to act on payday loans