Alberta COVID-19 vaccine passport details

Answers to frequently asked questions about the Government of Alberta’s Restrictions Exemption Program.

Content of the article

On Monday, many businesses and events across the province will be implementing a vaccine passport system that requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test from Albertans aged 12 and older to enter.


Content of the article

Those who do not participate in the Restrictions Exemption Program (REP) or who are considered out of scope by the Government of Alberta must adhere to a strict set of public health measures, including capacity and capacity restrictions. operation.

The mandatory interior masking remains in place regardless of whether or not a company has opted for the program.

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about REP. More information can be found at

When do I have to show proof of vaccination?

As of Monday, September 20 and until October 25, proof of a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine is acceptable as long as the dose has been administered more than two weeks before the time of service.

After October 25, proof of two doses is required.


Content of the article

Where can I get proof of vaccination?

Albertans can use the paper vaccination record they received at the time of vaccination as proof. They can also download and print an immunization card by going to or the MyHealthRecords app.

  1. Alberta Premier Jason Kenney at a press conference regarding the increase in COVID cases in the province in Calgary on Wednesday, September 15, 2021.

    Alberta Imposes COVID-19 Restrictions, Vaccine Passport System

  2. A healthcare worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer / BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.

    Alberta COVID-19 Vaccination Card Site Goes Online

What if I am not vaccinated?

For Albertans aged 12 and older who are not vaccinated, they must provide a negative COVID-19 test to enter a space participating in the REP. Tests must be paid for by the private sector, approved by Health Canada, rapid PCR or laboratory PCR test performed within the previous 72 hours. Testing should not be from Alberta Health Services or Alberta Precision Laboratories.


Content of the article

Valid tests should be a written or printed copy describing the type of test, the time of sample collection, a clear indication of a negative result, and the laboratory that performed the test, if applicable. Photos of a rapid test taken offsite or completed self-tests or rapid tests will not be accepted.

Who can enroll in the Restriction Waiver Program?

Companies that implement REP will be able to operate as usual, while mandatory masks will still be required. The following companies, entities and events are considered to fall within the scope of the REP and may participate:

  • Restaurants
  • Nightclubs
  • Casinos, bingo halls, ALV lounges
  • Entertainment and recreation centers, such as: bowling, racing entertainment, arcades, billiard halls, other similar entertainment
  • Museums, art galleries
  • Movie theater
  • Conferences, meeting rooms, rooms and rented spaces (excluding accommodation)
  • Weddings and funerals organized in public establishments where the establishment is responsible for meeting these requirements
  • Professional sports or performance events (spectator)
  • Private social events organized in public establishments where the establishment is responsible for meeting these requirements
  • Leisure and fitness facilities
  • Adult recreational sports groups (players / participants)
  • Lessons and leisure activities (excluding physical activity)
  • Amenities in hotels and condos


Content of the article

Who is exempt from the restriction exemption program?

REP does not apply to businesses or entities that need to be accessible to the public for daily living purposes, including all retail outlets. The following elements are considered to be out of scope and are not eligible for the REP:

  • Events in private accommodation
  • Shops and shopping centers
  • Food court
  • Libraries
  • Workers and employees in / on a construction site for the purpose of their employment
  • Schools (Kindergarten to Grade 12)
  • Curriculum-based activities
  • Accommodation (for example, hotel)
  • Places of worship – for religious services
  • Health services
  • Personal services
  • Wellness services
  • Publicly funded post-secondary institutions, including cafeterias and common areas of residences (post-secondary institutions will be subject to a separate and sector-specific exemption)
  • Entities of the College of First Nations:
    • Maskwacis Cultural College
    • Vieux-Soleil Community College
    • Red Crow Community College
    • Nuhelot’ine thaiyots’i nistameyimakanak University Blue Quills
    • Yellowhead Tribal College


Content of the article

The REP also does not apply to employees, contractors, repairers or deliverers, volunteers or inspectors entering the space for the purpose of work and to children under 12 years of age.

What restrictions apply to indoor entertainment, events and recreation facilities that do not implement REP?

The capacity is limited to one third of the occupancy of the fire prevention code. Participants should be with household members only or two close contacts if they live alone.

What restrictions apply to restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs and nightclubs that do not apply the REP?

Outdoor dining is allowed with a maximum of six per table – a household or two close contacts for those living alone. Alcohol sales end at 10 p.m. and consumption ends at 11 p.m.

What restrictions apply to adult sport, fitness and performance activities that do not implement REP?

Indoor group lessons and activities are not permitted. Indoor competitions are suspended, unless a vaccine exemption has been granted. Individual indoor training and solo activities are permitted with a physical distance of three meters.


Content of the article

Outdoor activities can continue without restrictions.

What restrictions apply to retail stores, malls and food courts?

As these are considered outside the scope of REP, they should limit the capacity to one third of the fire code occupancy, participants should be with household members only, or two close contacts if they live alone, and indoor food courts must close in-person meals, while take-out is allowed.

What restrictions apply to places of worship?

As places of worship are considered outside the scope of REP, capacity is limited to one third of the fire code occupancy. Masks are mandatory and two meters of physical distancing is required between households or those with two close contacts who live alone.

What restrictions apply to weddings and funerals?

Indoor wedding ceremonies and funeral services can accommodate up to 50 people or 50% of the fire code occupancy, whichever is less. Entertaining is prohibited unless the host institution implements the REP, in which case there would be no limit on attendance, according to Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw.


Content of the article

Outdoor ceremonies, services and receptions can have up to 200 people, but alcohol sales must end at 10 p.m. and consumption by 11 p.m. unless the REP is in place.

Can I get an exemption for a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes, however, experts say the likelihood of getting a medical exemption is rare. A valid medical exemption is the original signed letter from a physician or nurse practitioner that includes the name of a person matching the identification, full physician or nurse practitioner information, including name, telephone number, contact details, professional registration number and signature.

The exemption must state that there is a medical reason for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and the duration of the exemption is valid.



Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour of moderation before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread that you follow, or if a user that you follow comments. Check out our community guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Source link

Previous 6 new books on the pandemic, #MeToo and other hot topics
Next Wedding photographer returns home after months of rehabilitation following helicopter crash